Ok, no, I don’t really need a pony. However, it might be easier to find a pony than the yarn I’m looking for. Since I’ve looked at hundreds of pages of yarn at this point, and come up with only a few candidates (none of while I’m particularly excited about), I turn to my friends, the fiber geniuses.
This starts, as many fiber quests start, with a project I wish to knit for a friend. Said friend is allergic to most animal fibers, leaving me with plant-based and/or man-made fibers. The project I am looking to knit calls for fingering weight yarn. And we would like a rainbow colorway. Got that?
In a more easily-digested bullet form:
- Fingering weight
- No animal fibers
- The project is for fingerless gloves, so cotton and other water-absorbing fibers are right out. Also, 100% silk or 100% bamboo are probably too drapey for the project, no?
- Rainbow colorway
This doesn’t seem like it should be that hard to find yarn that meets my needs, but holy hell. After a couple of days of looking, all I’ve come up with are the following:
- Red Heart Boutique Unforgettable Yarn
- Craft Smart Yarn, Ombre
- Red Heart Soft Baby Steps Yarn, Print
- Caron Simply Soft Paints Yarn
- Premier Wool Free Sock Yarn, Farmstand
- Deborah Norville Serenity Garden Yarn, Gems
I suppose switching weights to worsted is also an option, which provides a few more yarn choices, but then I’d need to find a new favorite fingerless mitts pattern.
Ideas? Anyone? Help?